Friday, October 1, 2010

Grammar Tip

Kathy and I spend time working as typists. It behooves us to stay up on grammar usage. So in that spirit, here's a tip:

Katelyn and I; Alex and and me. When do you use them?
Here's an easy way to remember:

Just say the sentence to yourself without the other person in it at all.

"Sam and I went to the store." (Just say "I went to the store." Yes, that's correct, so that's it.)

"Sam and me went to the store." (Now say me went to the store. Correct? You can hear that it isn't.)

How about at the end of a sentence?

"They went to the show with Lily and me." (To check: They went to the show with me. It works. How about: "They went to the show with Ben and I." (Check it. They went to the show with I. Doesn't work.)

Now that you have this memory tip, see how often people get it wrong, and you can act nice and smug. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment